To know someone, you need to have regular contact with them. If you want to have a close relationship with God, you need to daily take time to listen to God.
We listen to what God wants to say to us when we read His book. God has spoken and it was written down so we can know what He says. The Bible is a record of what God has said, who He is, what He has done and what He will do. When we read the Bible, we give God the opportunity to speak into our lives.
Do you know how God speaks?
How does God speak to us? John 14:16, 17, 25, 26
When you suddenly understand a truth when reading the Bible, that is the Spirit of God teaching you and guiding you to make good decisions.
What does God promise to do if we read the Bible every day? Joshua 1:8
(see also Psalm 1, John 15:7)
Do you read the Bible daily so you know God’s commands and promises?
Daily Time with God
- Talk with God through prayer
- Let God speak to me through reading the Bible
- Start reading in the Bible in New Testament (Matthew)
Purpose of Meeting with God daily
- to worship God – God loves me!
- to fellowship with God
- to be led by God – I love God and chose to follow His ways
What is the writer’s attitude toward God? Psalms 42:1-2 (Psalms 119:147-148)
Examples from the Bible: How did people in the Bible seek and know God?
Verse: Character: Time: Place: Activity:
Genesis 19:27 Abraham morning met God
What applications to your life can you make about spending time with God?
Jesus said, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness…” Matthew 6:33. If you make daily time with God a priority, you will grow in your spiritual life.
Suggestions and tools to help you focus in your spiritual life:
- Bible & Notebook: During your time with God, write down important insights; that is the Spirit teaching you. “And you shall remember all the ways which the Lord your God has led you” (Deuteronomy 8:2)
- Place: Choose a quiet place to meet with God without distractions.
- Time: Find a time where you can consistently meet with God.
- Plan: Read a book in the Bible at your own rate. Try a chapter a day.
“Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.” (Psalms 119:18)
- collect the things you need and find a quiet place
- prepare your heart, wait on God, confess your sins
- read a verse of scripture, meditate on how it relates to you
- talk with God about what you read
- obey what God reveals to you (apply it to your life)
- share with others what you have learned
Questions to ask when reading the Bible: What do we learn about…
- God and His design?
- Man and his attempts to fix brokenness?
- Sins leading to brokenness?
- God’s promises to believe?
- Commands to obey (or examples to follow) to recover God’s design?
Each time we meet, we will set GROW GOALS to apply God’s Word.
Today’s goal is to obey God by daily reading His word so we know what God promises to do for us and His commands that help us recover His design for life.
Are you willing to commit to a daily reading the Bible? Write out your plan.
Pray and ask God who He wants you to share with this week about how to listen to God. Each week we will set GO GOALS of who we will plan to go share (teach someone else) what we have learned.